- In Mt 16:13-17, Jesus questioned His disciples concerning His identity...
- He asked who others thought He was
- He then asked who they thought He was
- Peter responded: "You are the Christ, the Son of the Living God."
- Jesus commended Peter, stating that his confession of faith was based upon what the
Father Himself had revealed - Mt 16:17
- Jesus then used this opportunity to speak of His church - Mt 16:18-19
- He promised to build His church
- He mentioned the foundation upon which it would be built
- He described the ultimate victory of His church
- He spoke of great authority that would be given to the church
- This passage naturally raises several questions...
- What is this "church" Jesus promised to build?
- What is the "foundation" upon which it would be built?
- How would "the gates of Hades" not prevail against it?
- What "authority" was given by Jesus, and to whom?
[Anyone who believes in Jesus should have a vital interest in the answers to these questions. So let's begin by noting first of all...]
THE CHURCH JESUS BUILT
- THE CHURCH DEFINED...
- The original word in Greek, ekklesia, composed of two words: ek, meaning,’’ out from” ,and kalleo, meaning, “I call". The full and simple meaning of church according to the original Greek word is “I call out from”. When Jesus said I will build my church, he was saying “I will call my people out of the world. They will assemble in name, and the gates of hell shall not prevail.
- 2. The word ‘ekklessia’ is used in the Bible most often in two senses:
- The church "universal" - the whole assembly of people who are saved, both living and dead
- The church "local" - a company of saved people in a geographical area who work and worship
together as a local congregation
- 3. In our text, Jesus is using the word "church" in its universal sense
- THE CHURCH CHARACTERIZED...
- It is called "the body of Christ" - Ep 1:22-23
- It is called "the household of God" - 1Ti 3:15
- It is called "the temple of God" - Ep 2:19-22; 1Pe 2:5
- It is called "the kingdom of Christ" - Col 1:13; cf. Re 1:9
- It is called "the bride of Christ" - 2Co 11:2; cf. Re 19: 6-9; 21:2
-- Each of these expressions emphasize some blessing or responsibility we have as those who have
been called out of the world into this spiritual assembly of God's people.
- THE CHURCH ESTABLISHED...
- It is evident that the church was not established at the time Jesus spoke...
- He said "I WILL build my church..." - Mt 16:18
- b. He told His disciples not to tell anyone that He was the
Christ (a fact certainly related to the establishment of His church!) - Mt 16:20